CONTAINS 600mg Calcium Carbonate (Oyster) 120 caps.
Calcium is the most common mineral in the body and is found naturally in foods. Calcium is necessary for many normal functions of the body especially bone formation and maintenance. Calcium carbonate is used to prevent and to treat calcium deficiencies.
Calcium carbonate tablets is an antacid. It works by neutralizing acid in the stomach.
Calcium plays an essential role in blood clotting, muscle contraction which affects blood pressure, nerve impulse transmission, and bone and tooth formation.
A constant level of calcium is maintained in body fluid and tissues so that these vital body processes function efficiently.
More than 99 percent of body calcium is stored in the bones and teeth; the remaining 1 percent is found in blood, muscle, and the fluid between cells.
Calcium is lost from the body every day in urine and feces, and trace amounts are lost in sweat, shedding skin, hair, and nails. The lost calcium is replaced by calcium from food. If your diet does not contain enough calcium or if you don’t absorb enough calcium from your food or supplements to replace the lost calcium, the body breaks down bone to get the calcium it needs. This is the leading cause of bone loss among older folks as bones eventually becomes brittle and prone to easy breakage.
According to the Office of Dietary Supplements of the National Institutes of Health, the amount of calcium needed in age terms are:
- Children ages 1 to 3 years need 700 milligrams (mg) a day.
- Children 4 to 8 years old need 1,000 mg a day.
- Children 9 to 18 need 1,300 mg a day.
- Adults ages 19 to 50 should get 1,000 mg a day.
- Ages 50 to 70: Men should get 1,000 mg a day; women should get 1,200 mg a day.
- Both men and women older than 70 should get 1,200 mg a day.